We’re developing a Housing Needs Report as part of a Provincial initiative that will allow the City of Fort St. John to better understand the current and future housing needs in our community.
This project is broken into two parts, a Housing Needs Assessment Report that looks to understand the current housing situation, which will inform the second section, a Housing Strategy. As a community, access to affordable and a range of housing options is imperative to ensure we all thrive.
Through the development of the Housing Needs Report, we can increase awareness and understanding of current and anticipated housing needs across the housing continuum from emergency shelters to market rental and home ownership. This understanding will support the City as we develop and update plans, guidelines and policies, and make informed decisions about existing and future development.
Results from the Housing Needs Assessment, engagement with residents and stakeholders, and a review of best practices will then inform the development of a Housing Strategy. The Strategy will be used by the City to identify priorities, actions and partnerships to address the current and future housing needs of Fort St. John residents.
We need to hear from you on what you need, how you’ve been affected and what ideas you have on improving the housing situation in Fort St. John.
What is a Housing Needs Assessment?
The Housing Needs Assessment Report will help the City understand the current housing situation. The Housing Needs Assessment Report will look at:
- The current housing market situation in the region, including:
- current supply and demand
- condition of existing housing
- assessed and sale prices
- rental vacancy rates
- What gaps exist in the housing market and opportunities to fill those needs
- The existing housing situation and gaps
- Future housing need
Current and future housing needs, gaps and future priorities will be explored across the full housing continuum.
What is a Housing Strategy?
The Housing Strategy will build on the Housing Needs Assessment to look at policies and actions that will help the City create and maintain an affordable, safe and suitable supply of housing. The Housing Strategy will:
- Determine the affordable housing shortfall, prioritize needs and define the key housing issues;
- Build on previous efforts and existing housing data to create recommendations;
- Include policies, strategies and approaches to address housing affordability issues;
- Explore opportunities for partnerships and confirm specific roles of key stakeholders and agencies; and
- Recommend an implementation plan with short- and long-term goals and performance indicators to measure success.
We are currently in Phase 2: Data Analysis
In Phase 2, the information gathered from public input and key data will be used to draft a Needs Assessment Report. This Report will also help inform the Housing Strategy work in the Fall of 2020.
In Phase 1, input was gathered through public surveys, focus groups and interviews on what our community is currently experiencing related to housing and ideas to address housing needs. Some of the topics included:
- Housing gaps and current issues
- Existing and future needs
- Areas of priority
- Housing goals and ideas to achieve the goals
There will be another opportunity for public feedback on the draft Housing Strategy coming in the Fall. Stay tuned for updates on this page!
Interested in some commonly used housing terms? Check out a list of terms below, which will be updated throughout the project.
Phase 1 Engagement Closed
Starting June 8, 2020, you will have opportunities to share your ideas through an online survey and community workbook. The deadline for feedback is extended to July 1, 2020.
You can send us your completed workbook in following ways:
- Drop off at City Hall or Beaton Building (Planning and Engineering Department)
- By mail to City Hall, 10631 100 Street, Fort St. John, BC V1J3Z5
- Scan and email to: firstname.lastname@example.org