It's time to update our Parks & Recreation Plan for the future
With the number of parks, trails and recreation projects that have been completed over the past five years, we thought it was time to ask residents if the remaining recommendations, identified as part of the 2017 Parks & Recreation Master Plan, are still the most relevant projects to undertake and ask what the priorities are for residents over the next 10 years.
In 2017, the City of Fort St John and its citizens undertook the enormous task of developing a plan that would provide a framework for decisions related to parks and recreation land, facilities, resources, programs, infrastructure and investment for the City of Fort St John. Multiple engagement methods were used to obtain input from over 700 residents, including participation from the Peace River Regional District and District of Taylor.
Citizens told us that their vision for Parks and Recreation was to be a community where nature lives, recreation opportunities abound, and families are active and flourish. A number of goals and objectives were developed to provide guidance on directions that would be taken to meet community needs. They were based on the objectives and recommendations provided in the focus group workshops, the online community survey, and the pop-up booths.
A number of goals emerged through the engagement events. The goals provide guidance on direction that will be taken to meet the community needs.
- Provide a multi-use, connected trail system that links parks and other key destinations
- Protect and enhance the natural environment and aesthetics of the City’s parks
- Provide opportunities for social gathering and connections within parks and recreation facilities
- Encourage as many people as possible to participate in activities throughout the year
- Plan for adaptable, re-usable and multi-functional spaces
- Provide services that reflect the diversity of Fort St. John’s population
- Provide services and amenities in a financially responsible manner
Parks and Recreation Plan Update – Moving Forward
Over the next several months:
- We want to inform citizens of the milestone projects that have been completed.
- We want to hear from citizens about the priorities for the next 10 years.
- We want hear if you think we are missing priorities from our list.
- We plan to engage with you through a number of methods to give everyone the opportunity to have their say.
The City of Fort St John will host an open house on June 20 from 4:30 – 7 pm at Festival Plaza. You will have a chance to learn about all the projects that have been completed over the past year and we want you to tell us what your priorities are for parks and recreation for the next 10 years.
Look for our pop-up booth on Canada Day during all the celebrations.
Later this summer, a public survey will focus on confirming recommendations and establishing priorities.